Read Introduction Chapter: The idiot, the Voyeur and the Moralist from Artist Animal (Posthumanities)
by Steve Baker (2013) [copies will be provided]
Address these questions in writing. Add the text you write to the interspecies collaboration site (see details on class site). Be prepared to discuss these and other issues in class:
1. What does Steve Baker think of Randy Malamud and others who criticize artists working with animals of being non-ethical?
2. According to Baker, what is the issue with looking at the ethical issues of an artwork before making a proper reading of it?
3. What is some of Baker's criticism of the Rat Piece and Helena?
4. Is Baker defending the Rat Piece and Helena? How/Why?
5. According to Baker, can we trust artist to work with/use animals?
6. Do you think artist have ethical responsibilities? Why/why not? What are those ethical responsibilities in regards to working with animals?
7. What does Bryndis Snaebjornsdotter mean when she says it is impossible to ask if it is ethical to use animals in art without also asking if it is ethical to use them in science and for food? Do you agree/disagree?
Submitt your text to the site:
Title: whatever you want
Subject: Art Related to Animal Rights
Text: Your text about the chapter
Connect Text To ->Resource
Select "Artist Animal"
Write at least 500 words about the interspecies collaborations you are working on. Upload at least a few images and/or video every week to document the projects and/or your research.